Thursday, January 16, 2014

Mutual Benefit - Love's Crushing Diamond

(2013) Other Music

Rating: 9

Review Summery: Everything I have been waiting for; everything I wanted. I really do hope the feeling is mutual.




I have been overly disillusioned with music of late; the constant beats and vibes of the dominant styles dull the senses and drill the musical melancholy. I resigned the auditory world to its fate and fled from new releases, living in the albums I knew I could trust. Why bother attempting to venture back? I am safe, happy and blissfully ignorant of the apparently endless subtleties that distinguish one flurry of beats from another. Well, safe gets boring after a while. While a shimmying John Travolta was indeed correct when he declared that one can not stop the beat, one can always retreat into the delicacies of a fucking good folk album.

So here we are, and so we hear the tinkles and tankles of such an album. Mutual Benefits, a band name as altruistic as the shared emotional conveyed and shared from string and voice to ear and soul. I have rather little to say right now. With two minutes left remaining on the final song of the album, the distraction of the emotional encapsulation leaves one with the most pleasant type of writer's block. Thirty seconds remain. The fade out. Time to assess. Time to recover. The last tinkle and the silence that follows. The sounds of keyboard clicks become a heresy. How dare repetitive mechanical sounds follow such simple beauty? How much I missed this.

No comments:

Post a Comment