Sunday, January 19, 2014

Joanna Gruesome - Weird Sister

(2013) Fortuna Pop!
Rating: 7

Review Summery: Just makes me nostalgic for their live performances, failing to live up to the spectacle they can truly deliver.




I saw the band live a few times before I ever gave their debut a worthwhile listen. I recall a flurry of shared links to YouTube videos of recordings and performances. I am even wearing their most recently released T-Shirt right now. It would be so easy to let the little fan-boy of me so haywire and proselytise without restraint about how glorious they are. Joanna Gruesome for me are a live band. While they do capture a lot of that magic and wonder on this album, it is just not the same experience. The songs remain little pockets of joy, but all I can think is that my first experience of them was live and that will forever be the benchmark by which I judge the album. It can not match the raw brilliance, I don't expect it too, but I am just left disappointed that I am not there on the concert venue flaw when I hear the music of Joanna Gruesome wail forth. Listen to this album. See them live. Do it the right way round, unlike me. Do not make the same mistake.

No comments:

Post a Comment