Saturday, January 18, 2014

Zachary Cale - Blue Rider

(2013) Electric Ragtime
Rating: 6

Review Summery: Professionalism personified but lacking in that 'Je ne sais quoi' that would make it truly satisfying.




Music is very subjective, as we all undoubtedly know. When opinion is passed on an album it is normally more of a comment on the expectations and desires of the reviewer than of the overall merit of the work itself. We come to Zachary Cale's fourth studio album. What do I personally desire from a new release? Does 'Blue Rider' deliver on those wants and needs? I am undecided. The song-craft and the instrumentation is masterful. The tone and emotion is of a great and effective standard. The issue though is that I find it hard to be excited about the album as a whole. It is accomplished, yes, and an example of true musical professionalism; but I dare say it lacks that 'je ne sais quoi' for me, personally. I can not see myself recommending the album, or even bringing it up in idle conversation when other topics have ran dry. I can listen to 'Blue Rider' happily, no complaints can be made; but I can never see it being anything other than shelf filler. A strong self filler, one that earns its place, but one that I can foresee gathering dust albeit for the occasional curious listens.

No comments:

Post a Comment